Monday, March 9, 2009

Are You There Hubby? It's Me, Susan.

Quite possibly the funniest person I know, Susan Isaacs, wrote this really gutsy, hilarious, heart breaking and expanding memoir called Angry Conversations with God.  It's out on March 12, and you can buy it anywhere.

I've read it twice, it's so good.  

Here's why:  Susan has been a Christian since she was five.  She's thoughtful, extremely intelligent and emotional. She loves Jesus.  And she loves the Beatles and Monty Python.   From an early age, this wildly talented girl with specific plans to make people laugh and "play her note," faithfully expects that God's plans for her life will indeed be prosperous and un-harmful to her.   Buzzer sound here. 

By the big four-oh, Susan's life is falling apart.  Her father dies, her mother gets sick, her career is tanking, her friends are in hit tv shows and getting married, and her almost-fiance dumps her and jumps right into a new relationship.  And that's just the intro!  She's hit the "middle class white girl's" rock bottom.  With all of her hopes and dreams crumbling around her, Susan decides enough of this abusive relationship.  It's time to take the Almighty, the Alpha and Omega, her alleged Holy Husband, to couples counseling.   After all, he's gone a lot lately, and when he is around, she feels invisible and unheard.  

So begins this ab fab book.  

Susan's story made me laugh and cry.  But, mostly, her experience made me long to be back in the sweet spot with God, too.  

We've had our own ups and downs, God and I .  Have you?  Post your most revelatory/hilarious/righteous/wrong-eous conversation here.  Susan's publisher is giving away a free copy of Angry Conversations to whomever I deem most worthy.  

In the meanwhile, check out her site and buy the book and go see Susan when she's in your town signing books.  You won't come away angry.

Peace out-- 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just started reading this book and parts of it I was like, I think I might have written this book. I called a friend and they thought I was reading from my journal. Finally, someone else that thinks like I do...I can not wait to get to the end and see the resolve. I am definitely not in that sweet spot right now, but I long to return.